Saturday, July 23, 2022

Needs

 Note: My first attempts at writing were poems, mostly in high school and college. From time to time, generally between series, I like to bring one to this blog. Today's poem was written on July 4, 1990 at Mt. Salem Revival Grounds in West Virginia. It was the summer before my senior year of high school. I was traveling with Evangelist Joe Boyd. We had just come back to home base after three weeks on the road holding revivals. Even now, over three decades later, I am unable to share the context behind this, but it is real and raw to me still. After an intense prayer session, I sat on a leafy hillside with a notebook, and this poem poured out of me. Curiously enough, eight years later to the day, I met my wife on the same spot that I wrote this.

Stay tuned. A new blog series launches next week.

______________________________________________________________________________


Needs

I need to walk and cry.
I need to sit and weep.
I need to pace and sigh.
I need to hurt a heap.

I need to ache inside.
I need to burdened be.
I need a tear to stride
Down my face slowly.

I need a load to carry.
I need a pain to bear.
I need a hope to bury.
I need a grief to share.

I need a broken heart
I can leave with You.
I need the bitter part
To keep me close to You.




1 comment: