Monday, August 9, 2021

Obtaining Peace: Knowing Him

 

Peace 7

 

          Last week, we looked at the first means of obtaining peace, namely, asking God for it. Today, I offer you another thought. The peace of God comes when we get to know God. Acquaint now thyself with him, and be at peace (Job 22.21). Eliphaz was wrong about much of what he told Job but he was not wrong about this. There is a direct link between God and peace. If I know Him, I have some measure of peace. If I get to know Him better, I will have a greater measure of peace. The more I acquaint myself with Him the more I will be at peace.

          This is not just a mystical/ethereal idea either. The word “acquaint” in this passage in the original language means to run into danger with. It carries the idea behind it that I know this person so well I am comfortable or confident facing battle with them. They are capable. They are loyal. They are dependable. If you have ever watched Band of Brothers you will understand what I am talking about. By the end of the war, they had been through training, D-Day, Market Garden, and the Battle of the Bulge together. They had crossed the Rhine and taken Berchtesgaden. Their trust in each other was founded on months of ferocious combat, in all kinds of terrain, in all kinds of weather, in all kinds of situations. They knew what each man in Easy Company was capable of. They knew their captain was the epitome of a good leader. And there was great peace of mind in that.

          Paul gave us a similar idea in Philippians 3.10. That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection. To know God is to have confidence in Him. The better I know Him the more confidence I will have in Him. And the more confidence I have in Him the more peace I will have as well.

          God does not scatter peace willy-nilly like lightning bolts out of the blue. He tells us in Scripture how to obtain it.

First, ask Him for it.

Second, get to know Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment