Sunday, October 31, 2021

Nine Tests for Your Screen Time

 

Screen Time 2

 

          We use screens in a wide variety of ways for a wide variety of purposes. We work on them, using documents and spreadsheets. We write code on them, fixing errors or creating programs and apps. Speaking of apps, we use them to navigate, to listen to books, to study the Bible, to read the news, to listen to podcasts and books, and to watch video. Speaking of video, we stream it by the boatload, amusing ourselves with that which catches our fancy – sports, drama, mystery, comedy, action, horror, and documentaries. We put screens into the hands of our children, placing at their disposal all that YouTube and Disney care to offer them. We browse social media, engaging in conversation and interacting with friends. We shop on our screens, researching products and then purchasing them. We buy lunch on our screens. We plan our vacations on our screens. We study on our screens, educating ourselves and our children. And this paragraph, as wide-ranging as it is, does not begin to plumb the depths of how, when, why, where, and to what extent we spend time on screens. Phones, tablets, televisions, laptops, desktops, all of them beckon to us constantly, singing their siren song.

          It is impossible to answer whether each of these uses, broadly or individually, is good or bad in every context. I am not going to try. What I do want to do in this post is give you the means to answer that question for yourself. To do so, I am going to propose a series of tests. These are questions designed to help you discern good from evil in the details of your everyday life.

          First, does using it in this way violate clear Scripture? There are numerous cases when the wisdom of our particular screen use is not confusing; it is downright sinful. Much of what we watch as we browse, stream, and game online violates plain Bible teaching. For example, consider the words of the psalmist. I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me. A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person. Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: Him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer. Mine eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me: He that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve me. He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: He that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight (Psalm 101.2-7). This clearly speaks and directly so to what I watch.

          Second, does using it – my screen – in this way offend my conscience? Granted, this is almost entirely subjective, but I am ok with that. God designed and created the conscience, placing it into every human heart as a somewhat fallible guide as we make life choices. I say fallible because we can bend it, molding it into our own image. The wise man strengthens it with the Word and the Spirit and experience; the foolish man weakens it with neglect, bad company, and shoddy justifications. Having said that, it is still a useful tool in this context. There is something powerfully attractive about having a clean conscience. Paul did. Earnestly beholding the council, said, Men and brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day (Acts 23.1). Will you be able to say the same thing after beholding what you are contemplating beholding on that screen?

          Third, does using it this way cause others to stumble? Let us not therefore judge one another anymore: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way (Romans 14.13). I am aware of the fact that your liberty is not bound by my conscience. But my choices speak. They speak of me, showing what I value or accept. Further, they speak into other’s lives, affirming those same things as valuable or acceptable. It is this latter idea that is in view here. If I am using a screen around others, I must keep in mind where those others are in their emotional, mental, and spiritual maturity. I have spent hundreds of hours studying music. There is a running joke around our house that when Dad is on YouTube you stay away because he is probably watching some unsavory rock video for research purposes. While somewhat humorous, it does show us that there are some things you should not partake of while others are around because it may hurt them in ways it will not hurt you.

          Fourth, does using it in this way develop an unhealthy dependency? This is not strictly a matter of right and wrong. It is a matter of control. Something may not be wrong but still be wrong for me if it dominates me. All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any (I Corinthians 6.12). I doubt there is a passage in the entire Scripture record that pertains more to our screen use than this one. Talk about relevant. Dopamine is a real thing, and while I will speak to it later in this series put simply, our screens have a built-in tendency to addict us. They wrap their electronic tendrils around our heart and our brain, inserting themselves without our notice into our subconscious. Without even being aware of it, we reach for our phone and begin to scroll mindlessly. Why? We have been brought under its power.

          Fifth, does using it this way edify? The root of the word “edify” is edifice or building. If my thoughts, choices, and actions are edifying they will build me and those about me. Something may not be wrong, but right and wrong are not the only questions at play. Will using my screen this way help me? Will it help anybody else? All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not (I Corinthians 10.23).

          Sixth, what is the consensus of my counsellors? It is foolish to make important decisions entirely on your own, eminently foolish. Where no counsel is the people fall: But in the multitude of counsellors there is safety (Proverbs 11.14). There are people who are certified experts in the field of screen usage. Numerous studies have been done and more are being undertaken all the time. Parents and pastors have much to offer here by way of experienced perspective. We are foolish to charge on ahead, assuming that since there is nothing evil about our screen time then it must be all good.

          Seventh, will using it this way weigh me down as I try to run my race? Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us (Hebrews 12.1). It is not a sin to run a 5K in an overcoat and work boots but doing so will certainly slow you down. God has called you to accomplish something for His glory, to parent some child, to husband some wife, to follow some calling, to accomplish His purpose in your life. Will your use of your screen in this way – whichever one of the million ways you might use it – weigh you down as you seek to accomplish something with your life?

          Eighth, does using it in this way redeem the time or waste it? I am not of the opinion that every waking moment has to be spent in so-called useful occupations. Time resting is often well-spent. Time smelling the roses, actually and metaphorically, is wise. But there is a fine line between enjoying all that God has given us and killing time. And to kill time is, by definition, to murder it. I do not know how long of a ministry God will give me, but I have some important things I think God wants me to write. It would be wise to use the time I have rather than frittering it away on things that will not matter a hill of beans ten years from now. Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time (Colossians 4.5).

          Ninth, does using it in this way feed my carnality? My flesh is a curiously stubborn thing. No matter how much spiritual Round Up I pour on my pride it still grows back. I am called to be constantly on watch, not just responding to my flesh when it rises up, but actively attacking it. Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry (Colossians 3.5). In the words of John Owen, “Be killing sin or sin will be killing you.” Something on that screen may be perfectly innocent of sin, but if it feeds my vanity or my covetousness, for example, I ought to excise it with the painstaking care of a surgeon operating on a cancerous tumor.

          “This is just great, Pastor Brennan. Now I can’t use my screens at all today.” I feel your pain. My screen time is on the same chopping block with this blog post as yours is. Rest assured, I am not against all screen use. I will speak more to that next week. But I do think it would behoove us to put more care and thought into whether we allow ourselves and our children a certain screen use or not.

          Screen time is not morally neutral. There are positive and negative consequences.

          Think on that today.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the note. I remember many of the same comments brought forward for TV a number of years ago. Some of my Christian MD colleagues objected to restrictions, but my family took it to heart and we disposed of our TV after a while. Still have not brought another home, but we must be careful of our laptops now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great testimony. Thanks for sticking with your decision.

      Delete