Sunday, November 7, 2021

Seven Good Ways to Use Screen Time

 

Screen Time 3

 

          Screens – whether in a theater, your living room, your desk, your chair, or your hand – are morally neutral. What we do with those screens is not. It is good or evil. In last week’s post we discussed nine scriptural tests to establish whether our screen time is good or bad. Three of those nine tests were positive. In other words, it is certainly possible to use the screens in your life in a good way. Those three positive tests included that screen time can be used to edify, to redeem the time, and for good, with the consensus of my counsellors. That being the case, what are some specific applications of my screen time for good?

          First, you can use screen time to connect with others who are distant. Life is not stuff or accomplishments or bucket lists; life is relationships. What matters in our life is the relationships we have and the condition of those relationships. The most important of our relationships is with God, and it is interesting in this context to see He set up access to Him to be entire, complete, and instantaneous. In other words, we can get in touch with God anytime anywhere. Like all relationships, our relationship with Him waxes and wanes. When it wanes, it is never because He has made a mistake or removed Himself from us. The onus is always on us to restore and rebuild a declining relationship with Him.

          Technology has improved our ability to restore, maintain, and rebuild relationships with others in a similar manner to our relationship with God. We can now practically contact any person at any time in any place. While geography still limits relationships, it does not have to end them for all intents and purposes. I can and do maintain rather close relationships with people thousands of miles away from me by means of screen time. In fact, I have close relationships with people I have never even met in real life. This seems strange to our parents generation, odd to our own, but perfectly normal to our children.

          Additionally, you can connect with people not just geographically removed from you but emotionally removed from you. If you have a sundered relationship with a family member a gentle yet constant interaction via text or video or email can do much to restore that relationship. Jeremiah said, Mine eye affecteth my heart (Lamentations 3.51). Missionaries can emotionally connect with our church via social media. Grandparents can emotionally connect with far-flung grandchildren. Older pastors can build mentoring relationships with younger men in ministry via online communication.

          Is this beneficial? Absolutely. Indeed, I would argue that improving family relationships and building solid friendships is edifying.

          Second, you can use your screen time to encourage and minister. This one is closely connected with the previous one. For example, you can encourage people you do not know or do not know well by passing along some good news. We swim around all day in Bad News Lake. It is the environment in which we live and breathe. Solomon said,  The light of the eyes rejoiceth the heart: And a good report maketh the bones fat. As cold waters to a thirsty soul, So is good news from a far country (Proverbs 15.30, 25.25). What a blessing it is to me to scroll my social media newsfeeds of a Sunday and see pictures of families dressed up for church and reports of salvations and baptisms at various places around the world. How encouraging it is to hear summations of sermons right and left. And that is just one example.

          How often have you read a missionary letter that contained prayer requests? While your response could have been, “Absolutely, I will be honored to pray with you about that” you could not share this thought with that missionary. But if he posts the same request on social media you can share that response. To pray for someone in need, and to communicate that compassionately and sincerely is balm for the soul.

          Third, you can use your screen time to take a stand for truth. Social media is all about putting yourself out there, displaying your world, giving your opinion about everything. While that is often problematic, the truth is the social media space has become the town hall or party line of previous generations. So what do you do when opinions are flying around right and left, and when much of that expressed opinion is biblically ignorant if not ungodly? You can take a stand for truth.

          Controversy for controversy’s sake or attention’s sake is unwise, but to rule out being controversial for that reason is to rule out taking a stand in the modern public square. If you believe the truth but never say it, the truth dies with you. If you say the truth but never where anyone can hear it but those who are already convinced, the truth dies with you. It is foolish to stay quiet online by hiding behind the excuse of wisdom. It is cowardly to discuss every area of truth except the area currently being fiercely debated. I am not saying you have to fight everybody. I am not saying you have to fight all the time. I am not saying you have to be reactionary. I am not saying you have to be harsh. I am saying you ought to take a stand.

          Fourth, you can use screen time to study and teach the truth. Study in our day almost always  involves a screen at some point. I believe based on both experience and research that hearing from a teacher in an in person environment is the best mode of learning. Further, I think books are a better means of in-depth study than video for several important reasons. But having said that, I sure have learned a lot from YouTube, as funny as it sounds. I have taken online classes several places. Additionally, many of the study aids I use the most are actually more searchable and instantaneously available on my screen than they are in my library. I spend probably 50 hours a month listening to my phone as it reads me the Bible or some other book. I do that while I am hiking or eating lunch or driving or otherwise physically but not mentally engaged. I would argue that is time well and profitably spent.

          Not only can you learn effectively with a screen you can also teach effectively. I have three books in print and a fourth being published now. All of those I wrote on screens. I have hundreds of thousands of words available online about various topics on my blog. I make about 1,300 of my sermon outlines available to my Patreon subscribers. I have hundreds of audio sermons available for free on my church website. I send hundreds more at no charge to Brennan’s Pulpit subscribers. I send 15,000 emails out a month with free content. Why? I want to make as much of the truth God has taught me as widely available as possible.

          Then there is this, too. In addition to making truth available on a screen you can explain it. You can answer someone’s objections in a patient, detailed manner. You can interact with them, seeking to bring them to an understanding of and ownership of the truth that long ago laid hold on you.

          Fifth, you can use your screen time to appreciate and display God’s beauty. As I write this, a blue bird is bouncing on a slight pine branch within my field of vision. He has been hopping around all morning, sounding his slightly mad, slightly happy note. Yesterday, while on a prayer walk, I startled several deer. I watched their white tails bounding away into the brush. Late last night, I sat on my deck and gloried. It was a clear, cold night and the stars glittered like a thousand jewels strewn carelessly across an upside down velvet cloth. I find such things marvelous. The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament sheweth his handywork (Psalm 19.1). God’s Word tells me to think on lovely things and praise the Lord as a result (Philippians 4.8). Screens let me share these moments with others, provoking them, in turn, to praise the Lord. Screens can even bring me such moments. Did you know that the whales off the South African coastline catch fish in nets made of bubbles? I learned that on a screen. It is amazing how intricate and creative and beautiful our God is.

          Sixth, you can use your screen time to remember in future days God’s goodness to you now. The psalmist was often deeply discouraged. One of the ways he encouraged himself was to remember previous occasions of God’s goodness and blessing. O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee From the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar (Psalm 42.6). I have a spreadsheet on my computer with a list of rather important answers to prayer on it. I routinely look at my Facebook memories so I can recall past blessings. Yes, I am sentimental, but there is wisdom and profit here.

          Last but not least, you can use your screen time to make a living. I believe that all work (assuming it is not ungodly in some way) is honorable work. I do not believe that my pastoral work is better than your office job. In all labour there is profit (Proverbs 14.23). There is a dignity to work that is ennobling to all men. If that is the case, and it inarguably is, then online work or remote work or work somehow done on a screen is as honorable as work done on a farm. You can sell products online. You can produce content worth paying for. You can be smart enough that someone wants to pay you for your mind, and what that mind does on a screen. Certainly, the way you make a living on a screen should not violate biblical principles such as vanity, modesty, or excess, but let us assume there is nothing unscriptural about the way you make money with a screen. Then go to it. Work hard at it. Do well. Improve and grow and build. Such things are all to the good, beloved.

          I said last a moment ago, but now here at the end I have found I do not really mean it. I highly suspect there are numerous other good things that can and should be done with screen time which I have failed to think of. If one comes to your mind I would be obliged if you would share it with me. If you do I will have learned something profitable. Probably by way of a screen. And it will be good.

          See? <grin>

No comments:

Post a Comment