The Sunday School Teacher 18
I can see her now in my mind’s eye,
the lens a bit clouded by the intervening years. She was my third-grade Sunday
School teacher, Alice Reeves. To my boyish self, she was an elderly lady. She
kept her glasses on a chain around her neck. She had wrinkles and gray hair.
Though I no longer remember any specific lesson she taught, I do remember that
she loved me. It was her tradition to invite her pastor’s family over for a
specially prepared dinner once a year. As a “PK,” her care for us spoke to me
then and speaks to me still. She continued teaching that class for decades.
I meet such precious saints all over the country.
Years ago, they answered the call to teach a class. Life rolls along, and they
just keep at it, saints and consequently students sweetened by Christian graces
refined through lengthy seasons of testing and serving.
How do you do that? How do you become Alice Reeves
to a little Tommy Brennan? How do you become a long-term teacher? Allow me to
attempt an answer.
To become a long-term teacher, you must first begin.
No one can successfully run an endurance race without coming to the starting
line. Like much other advice in this book, it may sound trite. Still, no one
ever becomes a hero of the faith sitting on the sidelines thinking to
themselves how much better they would be at being the man in the arena, to
borrow from Teddy Roosevelt’s famous phrase. Finishing well is better than
starting well, but the latter can only follow the former. So start.
Second, the long-term teacher is motivated by a love
for people and a love for the Lord. You may recall that our Savior said these
two commandments support all the rest. At some point, a particular student or
class of students will severely test the teacher. You will clash instead of
mesh. Your heart and your mind will be spurned and mocked instead of received
and followed. Alternatively, or even additionally, life's external stresses
will mount. Job layoffs. Chronic disease diagnoses. Church splits. Car accidents.
Some thing or some things will combine to wear away your initially fervent
resolve, and you will think to yourself, “Things would be simpler if I just
stepped away for a bit.” It is at precisely such a time that your love for the
Lord and your love for your students carry the day. When the applause of the
watching crowd has died to a whimper, when duty seems an unnecessarily harsh
taskmaster, when the pace becomes more grueling with each step, it is only love
that wins through.
Third, the long-term teacher runs at a pace they can
sustain. Failing here is one of the primary reasons young men do not make
ministry a lifetime vocation. They start like a house a’fire, but no one can
sustain that pace for decades. Any long-term service for the Lord is much more
marathon than sprint.
How do you do this? Two things fit here, I
think. First, it does not matter what anyone else thinks. Who has the biggest
class in the Sunday School this year? It does not matter. Which teacher has the
students all aflutter at the moment? It does not matter. Everyone seems to want
you to be much more like Sister So-and-so. That, too, does not matter. With
respect, ignore such trivialities and just keep moving forward. Hotshots come
and go. Mushroom classes led by fungi teachers rise and shrivel. Roman candles
dazzle all briefly. Meanwhile, the tortoise beats the hare.
Second, in application to run at a pace
you can sustain, you may have to say “no” to some things you would otherwise
want to say “yes” to along the way. Choose wisely which permanent burdens you
will voluntarily accept. Guard your prep time, your prayer time, your visiting
time, and your teaching time. Editing turns an average book into a good one,
and life-editing shifts an average life onto the higher plane of being
commendable. Like other things in a well-ordered life, this, too, may be
misconstrued. Accept it, and keep moving forward.
Fourth on my list: stay young at heart. By
sheer number, most Sunday School classes are for children. Adults tend to stay
in one class for a long time. Children, on the other hand, move up to the next
class relatively frequently. In practical terms, this means the typical church
has four or five children’s classes for every adult class. Ergo, the typical
Sunday School teacher has a class of people much younger than himself or
herself, especially if they continue teaching that class for many years.
There is certainly nothing wrong with
acting your age. Additionally, the younger generation gains much from being
around the older generation. If you age in place as a teacher, own it. The
trick is to do so while still enjoying and appreciating young people with all
their energy, noise, drama, and passion. Let their enthusiasm be contagious.
Guard your heart against cynicism, skepticism, and defeatism. Try to look at
life through their eyes. Resist the urge to pour cold water on them. Keep your
spirit warm and happy in the Lord. Cultivate a curious wonder with the world
God created. Resist the urge to live on memories. Discover more than reminisce.
Fifth, and more practically, build a bank
of lessons you can draw on for future classes. I do not think it is wise for
any teacher to simply rotate through the same set for each class. Stale bread
is unappetizing even if it is new to that particular student. But there is
wisdom in recycling and reusing material you have already laboriously dug up.
Keep track of each lesson you write, and each primary subject and Scripture
passage you teach. Like ingredients, the skilled cook can combine the same ones
in different ways so as to keep variety while minimizing the cost or
preparation time. So can the skilled teacher.
Pastoring and teaching Sunday School are
not precisely equivalent, but as I said in the last chapter, they are similar
in approach and responsibility. Having said that, I found that as I aged in the
pastorate my energy level declined but my wisdom level – for lack of a better
term – made up for it. What I accomplished as a younger man with aggressiveness
and enthusiasm, I could still accomplish decades later because I knew much
better how much energy and attention to devote to any one facet of ministry to
be effective. That was even more important in my specific case as Meniere’s
Disease took its toll on me.
The long-term teacher does the same thing,
though in a bit different context. The preparation and experience they have
built piece by piece become a house they can inhabit and serve from for a very
long time.
In one of my pastorates, I inherited an
aging deacon. Saved as a young man in that same church, he had served the Lord
there in almost every capacity it was possible to serve in. Through good times
and bad, pastoral changes, economic setbacks, demographic shifts, and
pandemics, he had just continued to serve. Although he was frankly no longer
very effective as a deacon, I allowed him to continue serving. Perhaps you may
have made a different decision, but I chose to do so because, in the process of
serving the church, he had become a servant. I do not mean in a spiritual
sense, although that was true. I mean in an identity sense. If I had taken away
his place of service, I would have cut him to the quick.
I have seen the same precious thing happen
to Sunday School teachers. It has become who they are, and they cannot not do
it. Yes, perhaps such folks hang on too long when a younger person could be
more effective in the immediate term. But there is much to be gained by younger
generations patiently walking beside the shuffling gait of the senior saint.
There is much of Christ on both sides of such a situation, and that is a Sunday
School win by anybody’s measurement.
I am glad you want to teach Sunday School,
heartily glad. But as you start, plan to finish. Not next quarter. Not next
year. Not till life gets complicated. May the Lord grant you the strength,
wisdom, and grace to serve Him and His people for decades.
There are lots of little Tommy Brennans
out there who need their own Alice Reeves.
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment