Saturday, March 11, 2023

The Final Suffering

 

Suffering 26

 


          It has been an interesting few months, I think, and hopefully profitable ones examining the subject of suffering in an in-depth manner from the Word of God. I would be remiss, however, if I did not include some thoughts of the final suffering that will come to each of us prior to the elimination of all suffering from our lives. That is the suffering of death.

The Vocation of Death

One of the men I read in preparation for this series was R. C. Sproul. His book on suffering was not tremendously helpful to me, and I do not plan to read him again, but he did a good job examining the idea of death as a vocation.

Death is the result of sin, but that does not mean death is under the control of the devil. It is not; it is under the control of Christ. I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death (Revelation 1.18).

Absent the Second Coming, we will all walk through the valley of the shadow of death (Psalm 23.4). It is appointed unto men once to die (Hebrews 9.27). Appointed here means reserved or destined, something that is necessary to do, that must be done. To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die (Ecclesiastes 3.1-2). Season here means a specific, appointed time; purpose means our business.

          Vocation is defined by the dictionary as a particular occupation, business, profession, or calling, specifically a divine call to God’s service. Beloved, we have been called to face death. It is not an accident even if it comes by means of accident. It is not a coincidence. Contrary to popular parlance, it is not a door we take one moment to step through. It is a season, an appointment we must meet for a period of time, in all likelihood. God has purposed that we endure this season at the end. We are called to it.

Wisdom Prepares for a God Called Vocation

          I am called of God to be a son, a brother, a husband, a father, a pastor, and a saint. These are major callings on my life by God, things He has tasked me to do. What a fool I would be to not prepare for such God given vocations.

          I surrendered to the ministry at fourteen. I wrote about the process of this calling on my life in “Schizophrenic.” I began my first pastorate at the age of twenty-four. During those intervening ten years I gave my utmost attention to preparing for that vocation. No, I did not know when it was coming but I knew that it was coming. No, I did not know how difficult it would be, but I did my best to prepare to do what I knew God was calling me into.

          In a similar sense, I am going to walk through that valley of the shadow of death one day. When this season of final suffering comes, I want to be prepared.

Preparing for the Final Suffering

          I see four different things we need to prepare as we contemplate the vocation of death.

First, in primacy not just on this list, we must prepare our soul. Prepare to meet thy God (Amos 4.12). We must endeavor to make our calling and election sure, having a good understanding of scriptural salvation and seeking strong evidence of its presence in our lives.

          Second, we should prepare our affairs. When God sent Isaiah to Hezekiah with news of Hezekiah’s coming death Isaiah told him, Thus saith the Lord, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live (Isaiah 38.1). I have spent untold countless hours attempting to get the seniors to whom I minister to do this very thing. I am mystified by the large number of them who are resistant to it, or who have done little to nothing at all along these lines. Have a will. Have a living will. Plan your final arrangements. Pay for your final arrangements. Have your financial and legal paperwork organized.

          “Well, I won’t be here so what does it matter?” It matters because when you die your loved ones will be handed a mess right on the worst day of their lives. Additionally, they will want to do what you would want done but if they do not know what you want done it can breed uncertainty and strife in the family. Love your loved ones well one last time; put your house in order.

          Third, prepare your conscience. At the end, Paul had the boldness to say, I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith (II Timothy 4.7). Make it a priority to maintain your testimony, your beliefs, and the practice of those beliefs to the very end. Your health will seek to give you excuses. Your disappointments with people will try to do the same. Your adult children’s lives will push you to silence. Your old nature will fight to the bitter end. So fight it back. Hold on to the end.

          Fourth, prepare your life’s work. Paul said he had finished his course. Some people aim at nothing with their lives. When death greets them they have left nothing undone because they never set about to do anything in the first place. But I have zero desire to be one of those. I can neither control nor know the time of my end, but I can prepare and plan for probabilities. I can live my life intentionally, purposely. I want the end of my life’s arc to find my life’s work done. I want to straighten things up, set my tools down, and walk away. I want to finish.

Enduring the Final Suffering

          Allow me three concluding thoughts in relation to actually going through the valley of the shadow.

          First, loosen your hold on this life. As it approaches give away your possessions. Find others to take on your jobs and responsibilities. Decrease your media consumption. Let all these things go. In the Garden, our Lord said, Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me (John 14.30). May the prince of this world find no hold on you or in you at the end.

          Second, tighten your grasp on the life to come. As your body stumbles toward the grave let your mind reach toward eternity. Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth (Colossians 3.2). For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God (Hebrews 11.10). Read about Heaven. Meditate upon eternity. Think of Jesus. Turn your eyes toward Him.

          Third, as you enter the valley of the shadow itself, reach for His presence. The sweet psalmist of Israel penned these sentiments most beautifully. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me (Psalm 23.4). Walk together with Him on that last highway as you turn toward Home. Lean into Christ and onto Christ as you prepare to meet Christ.

          Carrie Ellis Breck’s words are haunting my mind here at the end of this post and this series. She wrote them 125 years ago…


Face to face with my Christ, my Saviour

Face to face – what will it be

When with rapture I behold Him,

Jesus Christ who died for me?

 

Only faintly now I see Him,

With the darkened veil between,

But a blessed day is coming

When His glory shall be seen.

 

What rejoicing in His presence,

When are banished grief and pain;

When the crooked ways are straightened

And the dark things shall be plain.

 

Face to face – oh, blissful moment!

Face to face – to see and know;

Face to face with my Redeemer,

Jesus Christ who loves me so.

 

Face to face I shall behold Him,

Far beyond the starry sky;

Face to face in all His glory,

I shall see him by and by.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent piece.
    No way am I already 67.
    Ah, but I am. What is my life, but a vapor becomes more real every year
    No way am I near death, (though almost 50 years ago, 03/16/1973, I made preparation for it) ah, but perhaps that appointment is near that I realize.
    No way have I readied myself for this appointment except via my salvation.
    Thank you for this (if I may) "checklist" for the other preparations that now, more so than ever, I recognize I am responsible to fulfill . . .
    'cause unlike in my youth I now realize more clearly than ever, "I am not going to live (here) forever."

    ReplyDelete