Saturday, March 18, 2023

What Are a Mom and Dad?

 note: From time to time, generally between series, I like to share some poetry. I wrote today's selection at the request of my high school senior class and read it at commencement.


What Are a Mom and Dad?

 

What are a mom and dad?

Are they just instruments

To clothe my back, and feed my face

And fulfill all my wants?

 

Are they just here because

I happened to be born

On accident to them

One cold and drear May morn?

 

Are they just here because

A whim God had one day

To give them Bill or Jen

Or Tom to show the way?

 

No, parents are on purpose;

God knew just what He did

When He sent me to stay

With you while I’m a kid.

 

He knew that I would need

A dad to point the way,

To warn of dangers out in front

And sin that doesn’t pay.

 

He knew I’d need a mom

To love and cherish me;

To pick me up when down

And bandage my skinned knee.

 

He knew I’d need a hero

When tiny steps were mine.

Every act was right;

In you no wrong I’d find.

 

You’d fix my broken bike,

Repair the slipping chain,

Or put the window back

I’d broken, whole again.

 

He knew I’d need some firmness.

He knew I’d need some grace.

He knew I’d need some courage

Life’s struggles here to face.

 

He knew I’d need some wisdom

To make a choice or two;

He knew some understanding

I’d need to get from you.

 

He knew I’d need someone

To stand beside my bed

And put a cold washcloth

Upon my aching head.

 

He knew I’d need a soothing voice

When cloudy is the day.

He knew I’d need a loving touch

For thorns along the way.

 

He knew I’d need a hand

To hold on tight to mine

While reading from some book

A bed-time story rhyme.

 

He knew I’d need someone

To come and pray with me

When I was scared to sleep

Because just dark I’d see.

 

He knew I’d need a shoulder

To lean and cry upon

When no one seemed to care,

And life just wasn’t fun.

 

He knew I’d need some help

In learning how to write

My ABC’s and D’s

When school first came in sight.

 

He knew I’d need a hand

To wipe away the tears

That come from time to time

While walking down the years.

 

He knew that some assistance

In learning how to drive

A car would be quite helpful

In keeping me alive.

 

He knew I’d need a person

To buy my first Bible;

He knew I’d need good hands

To mold me while pliable.

 

He knew I’d need protection

From bad and scary things.

He knew I’d need some help

In choosing wedding rings.

 

He knew I’d need someone

To say, “How nice!”, and “Fine!”

When crayons worked on paper.

(It’s nice. Who needs the lines?)

 

He knew I’d need finances

A wad to sponge upon,

And though that wad was small

Yet still I had my fun.

 

He knew I’d need a mom

To teach me how to fix

A rent, a rip, or tear,

Stitch by crooked stitch.

 

He knew I’d need a hand

To teach me how to throw

A softball o’er the plate

Or one made out of snow.

 

He knew I’d need some people

To always love me e’en

If I began to act

Like every other teen.

 

He knew I’d need a mom

To finally put an end

To blissful morning sleep

When I hit snooze again.

 

He knew I’d need some parents

To teach me things ‘bout life,

Like how to live and love and learn

And still stay man and wife.

 

He knew I’d need a dad

To look at me, and go,

“This will not be a habit!”

While shelling out the dough

For speeding tickets gotten.

“A habit, Dad? Oh, no!”

 

He knew I’d need some help

In learning how to scrub

The floor, and clean the sink,

And wash and rinse the tub.

 

He knew a set of parents

Would necessary be

For my advent on Earth

And also spiritually.

 

He knew I’d need a mom

To chaperone the class,

And when you asked me why,

“Of course, the teacher asked!”

 

He knew I’d need a daddy

To ask, “Where’d grandma go?”

Or take me in a boat,

And teach me how to row.

 

Or take a fishing pole

In search of waiting fish;

Together, blow out candles

And make a birthday wish.

 

He knew I’d need a mom

To spot the unwashed dish,

And so build character

(Although against my wish.)

 

He knew I’d need someone

To spank the back of me

Or I’d still be the terror

I was when I was three.

 

He knew I’d need someone

To take me to the zoo

To see the lions and tigers

And even a kangaroo.

 

He knew I’d need some loving.

He knew I’d need some prayer.

He knew I’d need some discipline.

He placed it in your care.

 

He knew I’d need some guidance

If I’m to e’er become

What God made me to be,

Or e’en just of that, some.

 

And so He gave me you,

The best a kid could want.

For better parents never

Would I e’er have to hunt.

 

You see, dear Mom and Dad,

All these things I read

Are true about you two

As everybody’s said.

 

He knew I’d need the best

That any kid could get,

And so He gave me you;

I’m wholly in your debt.

 

Never kid could have

A better mom and dad.

You are the best there is;

Just awesome, totally rad.

 

-by Tom Brennan

May 31, 1991


Tom and Judy Brennan
August, 2022



No comments:

Post a Comment